Monday, May 28, 2007

Lights On


I visited my office yesterday afternoon. A Sunday. Memorial Day weekend. No one around. The lights were on. I turned them off. I don't know who is leaving the lights on like this on a holiday weekend, but with the economy and the budget the way it is we do not have to leave electricity on during the weekend, on holidays, or in areas that do not require it. All the hall lights were on too, even though it was broad daylight. Even if they HAVE to leave them on for safety, all they have to do is install some motion sensors and they can save a lot of money.

This is the light switch in one of the rooms that were lit. All the lights switches have these stickers on them, but obviously they are not respected.



When I left the building all the lights were off in the interior offices and classrooms that I have access to. I turned off several of the hall lights as well, though I did leave the stairwells lit (they could also use light sensors [http://www.wattstopper.com/ for example]). This is an easy and cost effective way toward sustainability.

No comments: