Friday, September 14, 2007

Appalachian State University Sustainable Development


Interdisciplinary studies has always seemed the way to go to get a good rounded education. It is part of the reason that I chose geography as my "discipline." Geography is the bridging discipline between the arts and sciences and therefore allows study across a wide expanse in order to get closer to the whole story. So when I heard about the interdisciplinary study program - entwined with sustainable development - at Appalachian State University in North Carolina, I was all ears. I found out that though others see it the same as I do, there are still many hurdles to overcome.

A visit to the sustainable development program at Appalachian State University, a beautiful university set in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina netted an informative interview with Prof. Cynthia Wood who graciously discussed the integration of sustainable development into the curriculum.

No comments: